[Tango-L] Travelers' Tips for Buenos Aires

Janis Kenyon jantango at feedback.net.ar
Tue Oct 31 21:30:09 EST 2006

I arrived on a flight at Ezeiza this morning and was handed a slip of paper
as I exited the customs area.  I've been warning tourists for years not to
accept a ride from anyone who approaches you in the airport terminal.  The
airport administration is giving all passengers a printed warning: For your
own safety, do not contract services offered verbally.  Go to the booths in
the airport.

There are large signs posted in all baggage claim areas regarding
transportation by remise, taxi, shuttle and bus with the current rates
posted.  Travelers will know the current tariffs if they read these signs.
Another sign gives information about the current exchange rates for dollars
and Euros.

Citibank has recently changed its currency exchange policy.  They used to be
one of very few banks in Buenos Aires that would change dollars/pesos
without requiring someone to have an account.  That policy is no longer in
effect.   Carrying a large amount of cash is never a good idea in BsAs.
Withdrawing cash as needed from a Banelco or Link ATM is much easier and
safer.