[Tango-L] Travelers' Tips for Buenos Aires

Christopher L. Everett ceverett at ceverett.com
Tue Oct 31 22:20:03 EST 2006

Janis Kenyon wrote:
> I arrived on a flight at Ezeiza this morning and was handed a slip of paper
> as I exited the customs area.  I've been warning tourists for years not to
> accept a ride from anyone who approaches you in the airport terminal.  The
> airport administration is giving all passengers a printed warning: For your
> own safety, do not contract services offered verbally.  Go to the booths in
> the airport.
>
> There are large signs posted in all baggage claim areas regarding
> transportation by remise, taxi, shuttle and bus with the current rates
> posted.  Travelers will know the current tariffs if they read these signs.
> Another sign gives information about the current exchange rates for dollars
> and Euros.

I believe Taxi Ezeiza offers the best rate.  Last August it was 53 pesos.
Large Blue and White booth.  If you bring your luggage there, they will
assign you a portero who will do more than just haul your luggage around,
he will also do things like hold your place in line to change money while
you hit the ATM or go to the bathroom.  If you ask them to do more than
haul your luggage, you should give the guy an extra handsome tip, which
goes without saying of course.

> Citibank has recently changed its currency exchange policy.  They used to be
> one of very few banks in Buenos Aires that would change dollars/pesos
> without requiring someone to have an account.  That policy is no longer in
> effect.   Carrying a large amount of cash is never a good idea in BsAs.
> Withdrawing cash as needed from a Banelco or Link ATM is much easier and
> safer.

Yeah, but the exchange rate isn't all that great.  Six of one, half
a dozen of the other.

Still if you must change money in the airport, avoid the booths in the
baggage pickup area staffed by attractive young persons, as the exchange
rate there is 10% low.  Instead, as you leave customs, find the Banco
Nacional office (if I recall properly, its to the right) where you will get
something close to the current market rate.

Christopher