[Tango-L] To dance or not to dance

Caroline Polack runcarolinerun at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 11 11:08:57 EDT 2006

Hmmm...that's a good question, whether or not to dance to every tanda.

It  really depends on the partner and the music. If the partner (a leader in
my case) is someone who I'm not comfortable with (he makes my back sore, he
has chronic halitosis, or whatever it is), I will decline. If he's someone
who doesn't respect my skill level, I will decline. If he's someone who is
going to make me look bad on the floor, definitely decline! And if milonga
music starts playing, I will decline if I suspect the partner will attempt
to make me do steps I've yet to learn for milonga is fast stuff! If you
don't know what you're doing, better stay off the floor. Tango is more
forgiving.

I think one should dance because one wanted to - I wouldn't want to dance
with someone who feels it's a duty to dance every tanda or to give pity
dances but rather dance with someone who really wanted to dance to the song
that was playing and wants to share that with me. I find it far more
flattering to accept an invite from a man who dances only a few tandas and
chose me for one of them.

I've found that the more I go to milongas, the more discerning I've become
of who I want to dance with. But that's normal, I think. In the beginning, I
was glad for any dance at all but now that I've gotten to know people and
tango better, I think it's a bad idea to accept a dance invite from just
anyone to just any song.

Caroline