[Tango-L] To dance or not to dance

Igor Polk ipolk at virtuar.com
Tue Oct 10 22:04:07 EDT 2006

I sometimes wonder, with morbid curiosity and a bit of a shudder, what
people who obsessively insist on dancing every tanda are like in bed.

Huck

Dear Huck,

Of course, I have prepared another very funny message for you, but I decided
not to bring it here now since I can answer you with good reasoning.

It looks like you are talking about me. I do not insist on dancing every
tanda. I feel that there are some snobs which believe that dancing with only
certain people is the Right Way. Well, I do not care about it, unless they
think ( like probably you ) that when others dance every tanda, it is not
good. I do not care about it either, but since it might affect other people,
or their opinions, I think it is appropriate to discuss it and ask to listen
to my point of view.

Firstly, I usually dance once a week and 3 hour of dance is far to little
for me. Let us see how many dances it is: on average 12 tango tandas only !
3 valses and 3 milongas ! Oh...
There are literally dozens of tango styles ! Classical styles. I can dance
most of them. And I want to dance them to improve in every style and to
invent more new elements and style definitions. This is difficult to
practice at a milonga I go, especially providing that a style must match its
appropriate music, and some "modern" DJs sometimes like to inject some
non-tangos there.

I can not afford to lose a tanda, if I want to progress!

Secondly, I have a lot of tango friends. Way more than 18. Yes, some of them
might be not as advanced as You, but never the less their dance with me is
very good. And I myself learn a lot from them. This is something more than
tango. This is friendship, this is socialization.

I can not afford to loose a tanda, otherwise how can I explain a friend why
I haven't danced with her!?

Thirdly, I am interested in proliferation of good tango. I do spend a lot of
my valuable as you can see time with them.

So, how can not I dance every tanda?

Besides, coming closer to your sentence, I do have so much energy that 3
hour of dancing is nothing for me. I need 12 hours.

Have a nice night!

Igor.