[Tango-L] The Good Dancer

Gibson Batch gibsonbatch at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 10 17:30:46 EDT 2006

Thanks to those who replied so kindly with my earlier posting from today.  I
hope this continues as I touch on a more sensitive topic.

I am curious about what makes a good dancer, or should I say, what makes a
dancer think that she/he is good.

To me, a good dancer should be able to make virtually any-and-every
allowance for the music, the partner, the space, the floor, and the
atmosphere in the room.  This is equally true for followers and leaders.

Can you dance Tango to Pink Floyd?  Can you dance on a rough concrete floor
or gravel?  Can you dance with someone who has no timing?  Can you dance in
sandals or with someone who is?

I would think good dancers would enjoy themselves under any circumstances.
A good dancer should also make the dance safe for their partner and everyone
around them.

I would hope good dancers would want to spread the wealth of their skill and
get out on the floor, most especially with someone inexperienced.

The 'Good Dancer' snob mentality is not exclusive to tango.  I have seen
self-proclaimed 'good dancers' in virtually every one of the 15-or-so dance
forms I have experienced in the last 8 years, including most folk dances,
salsa, ballroom (the worst offenders) and swing.

But it always upsets me to see eager new people turned away from those 'good
dancers' who know how to dance.

Gibson