[Tango-L] Tango A La Turca

astrid astrid at ruby.plala.or.jp
Tue Oct 10 10:19:51 EDT 2006

> Metin Yazir wrote:
>
> "21 teachers, one amazing festival: TANGO A LA TURCA

> Why would anyone want to attend a Tango Festival that doesn't feature
Argentinean instructors? Is this common in the US? From my experience,
non-Argentines pale in comparison with the 'real thing'.

I am just back from Turkey, and I did go out there to check out some of the
Istanbul milongas. And I found that Turks can be quite interesting to dance
with. Different, yes, but they can be a lot of fun in their own way. After
traveling around the country for a while I got the impression that every
Turkish man knows how to dance at least Turksih folklore, and most of them
do not feel inhibited about it and are also quite musical. A friend told me
that tango is actually immensely popular in Turkey. Atatuerk himself used to
be a tango dancer, and he told me that they have had tango practicas and
workshops with 120-200 people attending, and umpteen milongas in Istanbul. .
I went to one milonga where they also played Turkish tango music, Turkey has
a few tango composers of it's own. There was one that I liked so much that I
asked a local tanguero to write down the muscician's name for me.
Unfortunately, I never got around to look for his CDs, I just found time to
load up on Tarkan, Mustafa Sandal and such. I am still listening to those...
But I would appreciate if anyone on the list could send me some
recommendations on Turkish tango CDs available through amazon.com/amazon.de
or some other online store.

Astrid