[Tango-L] A Newer Ode to Joy

Gibson Batch gibsonbatch at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 10 11:33:54 EDT 2006

Dear List:

Reflecting on tango music compared to other common musical dance forms
(salsa, swing), I see a distinct pattern of separation:  tango is
melancholy, salsa and swing are joyous.

In this vein, it is easy for me to see why nuevo tango is so reprehensible
to many tango-philes.....it is just too happy.  Would you agree?  Tango
dancers love to express themselves in sadness (in my estimation), and the
upbeat joyous high-fidelity new music just doesn't do it for many
traditional dancers.

All is OK with me.  But still, I love nuevo music, and it doesn't bother me
to be in the minority....as long as someone out there plays it from time to
time.

I thrive on the joy and abandon that new music inspires in my dance, and in
my partners.  I would think that there are many people across the world,
including in BsAs, who would agree with me.

What do you think?

Gibson
Minneapolis