[Tango-L] Cortinas (not the old car from the '70s)

Brian Dunn brian at danceoftheheart.com
Thu Oct 5 19:18:26 EDT 2006

Dear list,

I *like* the function of the cortina as Neil and Nina describe it.  I've
frequently observed the events they describe in Buenos Aires milongas, and
appreciate the shared cultural context and social cohesion among the
attendees that contributes to this phenomenon. I especially enjoy the longer
cortinas in Buenos Aires, particularly with tandas of rhythmic tangos or
milongas, because, combined with the tradition of not starting to dance in
the first few bars of songs in mid-tanda, I get more "catch my breath" time
between songs - this lowers my frequency-of-shirt-changes ;).

I can very much appreciate Nina's emphasis on trying to pass along the best
of tango traditions in new social contexts.  But Nina, you must know that in
the diverse United States tango scene, the idea that a woman's rep would
suffer by staying with a partner across tanda boundaries is at best
considered quaint and at worst laughable.  Yet of course it makes sense in
the culture of classic BsAs milongas.  When you attend one, of course it's
useful to understand the codes in effect at that milonga. The same is true
for attending milongas in the USA.  When in Rome, right? Otherwise, social
communication breaks down, and everybody just gets confused everywhere.

But returning to the original question: how long?  We've been offering
milongas in Boulder for five years, and Neil's rigid timeframe of 1.5
minutes per cortina doesn't seem appropriate, for one or more of the
following reasons, among others not listed:
- Most people aren't sitting at tables, but are sitting right next to the
floor already
- most people aren't drinking wine
- most people aren't wearing glasses
- most leaders on the floor, at least, pretty much already know where their