[Tango-L] Cortinas (not the old car from the '70s)

Club~Tango*La Dolce Vita~ dani at tango-la-dolce-vita.eu
Thu Oct 5 18:10:34 EDT 2006

I tend to agree with you entirely, Jacob.

Although I agree to an extent and totally understand the sense behind Jake's suggestion, I personally feel that some sort of consistency in length is preferable. I do realise, though, that consideration should be given to other factors such as the principle of adhering to the traditional purpose of the cortina (to which Nina gave an excellent insight) and also Jake's and Manuel's 'clearing the floor and getting everyone settled for the next onslaught (a bit like the 'refresh' button on computer programs).

Although I also agree about using pretty much a piece of music that is entirely different from tango, one of my favourite pieces that I've adapted for use as a cortina is Fred Astaire's "Change Partners". Okay, so it is I suppose tango-danceable (I am very much a 'purist' though), using it as an example the lyric is so very apt:

[END OF TANDA]

"Must you dance, every dance
With the same fortunate man?
You have danced with him since the music began,
Won't you change partners and dance with me?

Must you dance, quite so close
With your lips touching his face?
Can't you see I'm longing to be in his place,
Won't you change partners and dance with me?"

[= 50 seconds]

[NEXT TANDA]
[END OF TANDA]

"Ask him to sit this one out, and while you're alone
I'll tell the waiter to tell him he's wanted on the telephone...

You've been locked, in his arms
Ever since Heaven knows when...!
Won't you change partners and then...
You may never have to change partners again.
[refrain]"

[= 40 seconds]

[NEXT TANDA]
[END OF TANDA]

"[refrain]
Won't you change partners and dance with me?
[refrain]
Won't you change partners and dance with me?"
[refrain]

[= 50 seconds]

"[refrain]
You've been locked, in his arms
Ever since Heaven knows when...!
Won't you change partners and then...
You may never want to change partners again"

[= 45 seconds]

NEXT TANDA

By chopping up the same song into consecutive sections, I feel it gives a sort of sense and continuation... perhaps, in fact, for a series of similar-style tandas (eg. tangos, milongas, vals) before changing the cortina for the next set of tandas.

Now, I realise that my ideas might come across as a bit overly romantic and perhaps unworkable for many people but I think it's all to do with the application and intent taking into consideration, of course, all the suggestions already offered by Jake, Manuel, Nina, Jacob etc.

I also like to use some real hard blues/jump-blues/swing such as Louis Jordan, Roy Brown, Bullmoose Jackson, Sippie Wallace, Amos Milburn etc etc etc.

Another question, do any of you have strong opinions about the length of the actual tandas? For example, how many song in each tanda? Do you think it depends on the style of songs therein? The time-length of the songs and therefore the ultimate length of the tanda itself? Should all tandas be pretty much the same length? What about the proportion of tango tandas vs milonga tandas vs vals tandas vs. nuevo tandas...?

Regards

Dani
‘El Zorro de Tango’ JJJ

Website:                            http://www.tango-la-dolce-vita.eu