[Tango-L] Cortinas (not the old car from the '70s)

Christopher L. Everett ceverett at ceverett.com
Thu Oct 5 21:13:36 EDT 2006

Brian Dunn wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> I *like* the function of the cortina as Neil and Nina describe it.  I've
> frequently observed the events they describe in Buenos Aires milongas, and
> appreciate the shared cultural context and social cohesion among the
> attendees that contributes to this phenomenon. I especially enjoy the longer
> cortinas in Buenos Aires, particularly with tandas of rhythmic tangos or
> milongas, because, combined with the tradition of not starting to dance in
> the first few bars of songs in mid-tanda, I get more "catch my breath" time
> between songs - this lowers my frequency-of-shirt-changes ;).
>
> I can very much appreciate Nina's emphasis on trying to pass along the best
> of tango traditions in new social contexts.  But Nina, you must know that in
> the diverse United States tango scene, the idea that a woman's rep would
> suffer by staying with a partner across tanda boundaries is at best
> considered quaint and at worst laughable.  Yet of course it makes sense in
> the culture of classic BsAs milongas.  When you attend one, of course it's
> useful to understand the codes in effect at that milonga. The same is true
> for attending milongas in the USA.  When in Rome, right? Otherwise, social
> communication breaks down, and everybody just gets confused everywhere.

There is one really good reason to force/push/kick people
to partner changes at cortinas, which will be valid across
all cultures: the notion that great partners are something
we might want to share with others.

It doesn't usually get my goat, but a couple of times at
festivals, a tanda of Di Sarli/Rufino or another fave comes
on and I'm looking for a particular partner, and she's been
glues to the same person for an hour.

Maybe she wants to be there.  Maybe she doesn't know how
to say no.  Maybe I shouldn't get annoyed at at all.  But if
its great, that greatness ought ot get around a bit, I think.

This is after all a social dance.
> <snippage>
>> I think your suggestion is favourable with me, Christopher. Assess the
>> length required on a 'need-to-effect' basis.
>>
> I agree about the "need-to-effect" - but the effect I look for is when
> people stop leaving the floor.  At our milongas, usually from 10 to 30
> percent of the couples will stay together at a Cortina, depending on time of
> night, music in the previous set (almost everyone changes after an energetic
> milonga set) or expected music in the next set (while we often honor
> requests, we post projected playlists at our milongas so people know what's
> coming up, more or less).

Actually, this is what I do too.  The additional browbeating
just distracts from the primary purpose, which is to have fun.

Brian, my best to Deb.

Over and out.

Christopher