[Tango-L] Call to Tango...

Caroline Polack runcarolinerun at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 2 14:35:19 EDT 2006

"Another issue of contention is that the teachers don't dance with the
students, they prefer to observe. That bugs me because they can't always
"see" what the problem is - I would appreciate it if they would dance with
my partner if I was having problems with the feel of his leading."

When a teacher observes, he can see not only your problems, but problems
with the whole group, and collects his thoughts what can be done to fix it.

Hi Igor - actually, I beg to differ. My class is pretty small. About 7
couples. My partner kept throwing me off my balance and the teachers
couldn't see why that was. It was only after I asked (not DEMANDED but asked
nicely) if the female teacher could dance with him then she was able to
understand what the problem was - it was his shoulder attempting to push me
into a back ocho. It was a detail that wasn't so obvious to the eye but very
much so to the touch.

At the other school I go to, the teachers dances with everybody - they are
very much hands on and as a result, the students are learning faster and
they drop out less because the teachers seem to actually care about their
students doing well and when the students dance with them - they get to see
and feel how tango should feel like and how enjoyable it can be.

I prefer teachers to observe. But, of course they should do whatever they
feel is the best.

The teacher can step in and serve as an extra partner if a group is small
and he knows what goes on between everyone well, but you are wrong to demand
it from a teacher - this is an extra service beyond what is needed for a
lesson. Want personal advice? Take a private class !

My class is pretty small at the school where I'm having issues with the
teachers. The teachers could certainly spare even just 30 secs to dance a
step with whichever student is truly struggling to grasp something.

Hmmm... at the same school where my teachers are not dancing with the
students, I never see them dance with students at their own milongas as well
as minimally dancing with them in class - that gives me a bad impression as
if they don't care about their students let alone want anything to do with
them. I see very few beginner/intermediate students in attendance at their
milongas. At my other school, the teachers always dances with the students
in class as well as at their milongas and they have a way of making you feel
as though you belong there. If they see you sitting, they would dance with
you and introduce you to everybody else. I see almost all their students at
their milongas.

So, I see a cause and effect relationship here. I'm now considering dropping
out of my first school and spending my hard-earned money at the second
school instead.

Private lessons? I'm a disabled single mother with no child support - I just
don't have the money for that as much as I wish I do. So, I think I will
stick with group classes in which the teachers are truly engaged with their
students.

So thanks for your suggestion - even if I couldn't use it.

Caroline