[Tango-L] Call to Tango...

Igor Polk ipolk at virtuar.com
Mon Oct 2 15:23:01 EDT 2006

Caroline,

Everything you write, I support. Of course, it is so much better, when a
teacher stops at you, shows you what to do, tries it with your partner to
feel what is wrong with him. Of course, it all works great!

But I also know that any time you ask a teacher about a personal advice at
the lesson - you take away something from other students, as well as his own
thoughts.

A lesson is a show. And it has its timing.

I think it is much more appropriate to ask personal questions after the
lesson.

I myself took very few private lessons. But I know that you can not learn
tango at the group lessons. At the group lessons you only can make friends,
get encouraged, learn exercises, receive information for your own practice,
and get what is possible to move forward. Your real learning comes at your
personal exercise, private lessons ( the best ones ), and milongas -
practicing with you friends.

You feel it. That is why you ask teachers for the personal advice. These
seconds when he is with you - these seconds you are actually learning. But
that is not a productive way to go.

When a teacher is practicing a lot of with his students at a lesson, and
that happens all the time, especially if a group is very small, is actually
not a group lesson. It is a semi-private lesson. This is a much better
lesson, but when poor students pay the same $10 bucks as for a group
lesson - there is something extremely unfair in it !

Ok, most of the teachers do not do it for money, as Manuel put it...

Igor.