Workflow in ECC 6.0

Edwin Mukusha emukusha at nebraska.edu
Thu Jun 8 15:52:05 EDT 2006

Hi Shalini,

Here's a presentation that we did for this past ASUG that could give you
some clues on an approach to answer your questions.  We upgraded from 4.6C
to 4.7 and we found out that a lot had changed in this seemingly small
step.  Our lessons from our upgrade were that;

- yes, you do need lots of time to play with the new version in sandbox
environment preferably with your own configuration
- you need to review all oss notes on the subject
- review all release notes for each basis level. (for example 4.6C, 4.6D,
6.10, 6.20, 6.40 etc), this might seem a bit much but it certainly gave us
a better appreciation/understanding on how the new functionality came
about
- the new xml based container had a wide ranging implications
- allow enough time to do test test test test test. single unit testing,
full integration testing, end-user testing, formalize your testing by
documenting all your tests
- don't allow workflow to be solely the responsibility of the workflow
team separate to the business/functional transaction or processes.  If for
example HR hires a person and workflow was supposed to be triggered, make
it clear that this process is not fully tested or working until the
workflow process is fully accounted for

The actual impact on your workflows is going depend obviously on how many
you have and also how much customization you have.  So in short you need a
firm understanding of new functionality offered in your target release
from a technical point of view which will in turn allow you to gauge how
big or small your upgrade will be.

I hope this helps and good luck,

Edwin Mukusha
Administrative Systems Group
Business Technologies Lead
University of Nebraska
Phone: (402) 472-7756     Fax: (402) 472-7390
Email: emukusha at nebraska.edu

"Shalini Sabnani" <shalini.sabnani at gmail.com>
Sent by: sap-wug-bounces at mit.edu
06/08/2006 01:09 PM
Please respond to
"SAP Workflow Users' Group" <sap-wug at mit.edu>

SAP-WUG at mit.edu
cc

Subject
Workflow in ECC 6.0

Folks,
I understand from various  Workflow groups that there is a lot of change
in SAP Workflow going from 4.6C to ECC 6.0 or even ECC 5.0. What I would
like to understand  is what is this lot of change ? Has the functionality
(what workflow can do) changed or has the way it is code and designed
change. Would it be safe to assume that Workflow in ECC will continue to
do what it does in 4.6C at the minimum. In an upgrade scenario (4.6c -
ECC5.0) should a lot of time be planned for upgrades of Workflow ?
If any one has links articles, whitepages etc on the above or would like
share their own upgrade experience I would be very keen to read/ hear the
same.

Thanks is advance for you assistance with the above.
Shalini Sabnani

~~Necessity is the Mother of Invention..