[Olympus] Simulation design paper

Jan C. Bernauer bernauer at MIT.EDU
Mon Feb 18 14:00:52 EST 2013

Dear Michael,
On 18.02.13 13:37, Michael Kohl wrote:
> Dear Jan and Axel,
> thank you for posting your technical note on simulations for OLYMPUS.
> I have two immediate comments.
>
> 1) I agree that convoluting time-dependent effects and other effects
> and imperfections into the MC will provide the correct ratio and TPE
> effect. However, some "corrections" are still useful to be accounted
> for in the measured data. For example, if the scattering angle in some
> areas of the detectors, or at certain times, is not correctly
> determined, then one would *not* like to "spoil" the MC to make it
> equally wrong (while it will maintain the correct data/MC ratio), but
> apply the necessary corrections to the data. So we still need to draw
> the line of what should be "corrected" (e.g. beam offsets, as they
> affect the scattering angle), versus what should be put into the MC.
> Some such "corrections" applied to measured data will give a "clearer"
> picture of the data, rather than making the MC appear diffuse, too.
> This is also important in view of graphically representing the data,
> rather than only quoting the final result for the ratio.

Ah, I think  what you mean is: The scattering angle is not the angle to
the z axis, but to the incident beam direction. Yes, I totally agree,
but I wouldn't call that a correction in that sense. I would call
defining the scattering angle relative to the z-axis instead of the real
beam a honest bug, at least if this effect is appreciable large.
So the point is: Make your analysis as correct as possible.
On the other hand: There are a lot of effects you can not correct
event-by-event, but simulate event-by-event. For example external energy
loss.

I first wrote: Correct everything you can do event-by-event in the data.
But I think this is wrong. For example: The 12deg system could calculate
a "correction weight" for each event, depending on the beam
direction/position and produce a luminosity instead of a integrated
cross section. But this is something I would certainly push in the
simulation!

> 2) Quasi-random numbers: This is fine if the number of dimensions is
> low. I remember that there are possible issue for
> "highly-differential" cross sections. So it might be ok for OLYMPUS
> but it should be looked at.

Great care has to be taken that you don't use the same "dimension" of
the Quasi-Random number twice, and you have to know in advance how many
you need for each event. This must be a constant!. But after that, I
think you are save if you take the right series. Halton or sobol for
example. But it is always good to cross check with a simulation with
pseudo-random numbers.

Best,
Jan