[Olympus] Simulation design paper

Michael Kohl kohlm at jlab.org
Mon Feb 18 13:37:49 EST 2013

Dear Jan and Axel,
thank you for posting your technical note on simulations for OLYMPUS.
I have two immediate comments.

1) I agree that convoluting time-dependent effects and other effects and
imperfections into the MC will provide the correct ratio and TPE effect.
However, some "corrections" are still useful to be accounted for in the
measured data. For example, if the scattering angle in some areas of the
detectors, or at certain times, is not correctly determined, then one
would *not* like to "spoil" the MC to make it equally wrong (while it will
maintain the correct data/MC ratio), but apply the necessary corrections
to the data.
So we still need to draw the line of what should be "corrected" (e.g. beam
offsets, as they affect the scattering angle), versus what should be put
into the MC. Some such "corrections" applied to measured data will give a
"clearer" picture of the data, rather than making the MC appear diffuse,
too. This is also important in view of graphically representing the data,
rather than only quoting the final result for the ratio.

2) Quasi-random numbers: This is fine if the number of dimensions is low.
I remember that there are possible issue for "highly-differential" cross
sections. So it might be ok for OLYMPUS but it should be looked at.

Best regards
   Michael