[mosh-devel] Mosh for roguelike games?

HannesJvV (alt email) slimkind7 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 18 17:24:16 EDT 2013

I understand Mosh uses a simplified model of server-side activity to give
"intelligent local echo", but I'm not clear on the details. Can Mosh use
application-specific local echo models?

I'm asking because I would love to play Dungeon Crawl online but I live in
Africa, far away from any server. Lag makes playing over SSH absolutely
unbearable. I'm thinking that Mosh with crawl-specific local echo model
could at least make the lag a lot more bearable and would be a big step
forward for roguelikes in general.

I understand that with roguelikes there would be many cases where Mosh
wouldn't really help (just as with complex commands in Vim) and that this
would be complicated to pull off. But simple things can go a long way: if
I've been waiting for a response from the server for the past few seconds
after giving a movement command, I might as well check out my spell list or
inventory or examine a monster while I'm waiting for it. This is impossible
with SSH, but I think it might well be doable with Mosh if it can take
'local echo plugins'.