[mosh-devel] Mosh for roguelike games?

Keith Winstein keithw at MIT.EDU
Tue Aug 20 02:43:05 EDT 2013

Hello Hannes,

There's no fundamental reason that Mosh couldn't support an
application-specific local echo model. Look
in src/frontend/terminaloverlay.cc (
https://github.com/keithw/mosh/blob/master/src/frontend/terminaloverlay.cc)
for the current code.

You *might* be better off just writing your thing as a separate wrapper
program that the user would run before they run Mosh or SSH. (Look at
our src/examples/termemu.cc for an example of this.) This could just
interpret the user's keystrokes and do whatever you want with them, rather
than trying to be another part of Mosh itself.

Mosh itself benefits from having the prediction be tied in with the
networking, because we want to know which user keystrokes have been seen by
the server (in order to know whether our predictions were confirmed or
rejected). But if you're really just making a local user interface for a
particular application, there's a lot less ambiguity about trying to infer
if your "predictions" are correct and you could do this as a straight-up
wrapper program on the client side.

Good luck!

Cheers,
Keith