[Dspace-general] Publisher's requirements for links from published articles

Jeremy C. Shellhase jcs at lib-mail.humboldt.edu
Mon Apr 21 17:24:29 EDT 2008

Hello Dspace users,

We're working to include more of our faculty's published works in our instance of dspace, Humboldt Digital Scholar, and wanted to pose a couple questions about "best practices" in complying with some of the RoMEO green publishers requirements, before we got too far along in the work.

Question 1.

 Publishers frequently ask for a link back to their online presence with statements like:

*         Must link to publisher version

*         Must link to publisher version or journal home page

*         Must link to APA journal home page
We've looked in the metadata fields available and cannot really find a perfect place for this information and link.  Has anyone set a standard practice for this using metadata?
The other option is to include this information as a preliminary page added to the actual submission, embedding the information in the digital object itself.  If there are any other great ideas floating around, we'd sure like to hear.

Question 2.

Publishers frequently state that "Publisher version cannot be used", allowing only the author's pre or post refereeing drafts.  Well, as it turns out, many of the faculty that have time to consider archiving their legacy are emeritus or close to it and the publications they're interested in archiving no longer have a digital author's copy available.  We're stuck with how to proceed, if indeed we can.  Does scanning and OCRing a printed copy of an article satisfy this requirement?

Thanks in advance and keep up the good work.

Jeremy C. Shellhase
Systems Librarian
Humboldt State University Library
Arcata, CA 95521