[Dspace-general] Accepted GSoC Student Proposals for 2008 Announced

Mark Diggory mdiggory at MIT.EDU
Mon Apr 21 17:10:55 EDT 2008

Hello DSpace Community,

(Please excuse the cross posting)

Google has made its announcement and the results are public.

http://code.google.com/soc/2008/dspace/about.html

I would like to congratulate all the students that were accepted, say
thank you to everyone that applied. All the applications were all
very interesting this year. We had some serious decision making to
do, it came right down to the wire and as the last votes came in this
morning, the ranking changed yet again.

I would like to thank Xiaofei Dou and Adam Mikeal for what were
excellent and well ranked applications that did get mentoring
interest, but unfortunately we only received four slots this year and
those could not be accepted. To everyone else who applied thank you
and we wish you the best in your education and careers.

Note: while we have listed individuals as mentors on these
applications, it really takes "a village" to make these projects work
and mentorship may change when we sit down and discuss who and how
many will be participating.  We will more officially announce mentors
and backup mentors in the near future.  We most certainly need and
welcome the communities input on these projects.

To all those interested, I would like to recommend that you join the
various dspace listservs (http://wiki.dspace.org/index.php/
DspaceResources#Mailing_Lists) and join us at irc://
irc.freenode.net#dspace when you have a moment to vist with everyone
online!

I'm looking forward to the great discussions and creative energy that
the DSpace community will benefit from in this coming year thanks to
these Google Summer of Code projects.

Sincerely,
Mark

Begin forwarded message:
> From: "LH (Leslie Hawthorn)" <lhospo at gmail.com>
> Date: April 21, 2008 1:26:46 PM PDT
>
> Hello everyone,
>
> We've announced accepted student proposals for 2008 at http://
> code.google.com/soc/2008/
>
> For those who are interested in a few program stats for this year as
> compared to last year, please see the announcement on the Google Open
> Source Blog:
>
> http://google-opensource.blogspot.com/2008/04/announcing-accepted-
> student-proposals.html
>
> Cheers,
> LH

Mark R. Diggory - DSpace Developer and Systems Manager
MIT Libraries, Systems and Technology Services
Massachusetts Institute of Technology