[GWAMIT] GW@MIT Newsletter, March 10th, 2020

GWAMIT gwamit at mit.edu
Tue Mar 10 11:19:20 EDT 2020

[cid:image001.png at 01D5F6CD.BCC71570]
[cid:image002.png at 01D5F6CD.BCC71570]<http://mailman.mit.edu/mailman/listinfo/gwamit>[cid:image003.png at 01D5F6CD.BCC71570]<mailto:gwamit-exec at mit.edu>[cid:image004.png at 01D5F6CD.BCC71570]<http://www.facebook.com/gwamit>[cid:image005.png at 01D5F6CD.BCC71570]<http://twitter.com/gwamitweb>[cid:image006.png at 01D5F6CD.BCC71570]<https://www.instagram.com/gwamitweb/>

Events overview:
GW at MIT Events:

1.      Apply to join the GW at MIT Executive Board!

2.     GW at MIT General Board Meeting (Mar. 17th)
Women-related events and opportunities:

3.     WiSDM Relaunch

4.     Nominate a Change-Maker!

5.     Nominate friends and colleagues for the MIT Awards!

6.     GSC DEI & Grad Students for a Healthy MIT Spring Mixer (Mar. 11th)

7.     Warrior Women Film Screening (Mar. 12th)

8.     WEST Conflict Management: Effectively Dealing with Conflict (Mar. 12th)

9.     Cheney Room: MIT Innovation Initiative Presentation & Lunch (Mar. 13th)

10.  MIT Work-Life Seminar Series (March 10th-May 14th)

11.   Deborah James, 23rd Secretary of the US Air Force – “Aim High: Chart Your Course and Find Success” (Mar. 17th)

12.  Harvard Women in Consulting Panel (Mar. 19th)

13.  WEST Women & Wealth: Setting Your Course to a Strong Financial Future (Mar. 25th)

14.  Trans Day of Visibility (Mar. 31st)

15.  WEST Building Success with Optimism, Resilience, and Grit (Apr. 27th)

16.  WEST Attentive Listening Workshop (May 19th)

Did you know…?
In a strong show of dedication to gender equality, Scotland recently made a commitment to make menstrual products free, making it the first nation to do so. A study in Scotland found that ¼ of female students struggled to access feminine hygiene products. The vote for this legislation was nearly unanimous. Read more about it here<https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2020/02/26/scotland-moves-become-first-country-make-pads-tampons-free/>.

[cid:image007.png at 01D5F6CD.BCC71570]

1.               Apply to join the GW at MIT Executive Board
We are recruiting for new board members for the 2020-2021 academic year! We have openings for Events Co-Chair, Conference Chair, and Co-Chair of GW at MIT. If you’re interested in joining the board, please fill out the following application: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/16OZ-bQQWzNEscna2E99sAyK0OyaV0CTGUZ5Dq2Lpm40/viewform?edit_requested=true. Prior experience with GW at MIT is not necessary to apply.

2.              GW at MIT General Board Meeting (GBM)
When: Tuesday, March 17th, 6-8PM
Where: 4-149
RSVP: https://forms.gle/hf3T5sbbRNQom2L7A​
Join GWAMIT for our General Board Meeting! You'll get to hear more about GWAMIT, hear from Professor Darmofal about a recent survey's results regarding gender differences in career exploration satisfaction at MIT, meet women across departments including our GWAMIT department reps, and get free dinner! RSVP at the link above. Anyone interested in learning more about GWAMIT is welcome!

[cid:image008.png at 01D5F6CD.BCC71570]

3.             WiSDM Relaunch!

The Women in STEM Database has been revamped and relaunched by the MIT Innovation Initiative. You can now sign up for a profile on the new and improved website<https://innovation.mit.edu/wisdm/>!

4.             Nominate a Change-Maker!
Violence Prevention and Response<https://studentlife.mit.edu/vpr> along with the Institute Discrimination and Harassment Response Office<http://idhr.mit.edu/> (formerly known as T9BR) are hosting the 4th annual Change-Maker Awards Banquet this April. We are looking for nominations of undergraduate students, graduate students, faculty, staff (including postdocs!), student groups, departments, labs, or centers where individuals or groups are working to end sexual violence and harassment at MIT.
Nominate someone by March 22, 2020 at tinyurl.com/MITchangemaker<http://tinyurl.com/MITchangemaker> and direct any questions to bkaushal at mit.edu<mailto:bkaushal at mit.edu>.
[Change Maker Poster 2020-2]

5.             Nominate friends and colleagues for the MIT awards

The MIT awards celebrate MIT community members for their contributions to academics, teaching, the arts, athletics, leadership, entrepreneurship, community building, and public service. The recipients will be honored at the annual MIT Awards Convocation on May 8, 2020 from 4 to 6 pm in the Samberg Center (E52). You can submit a nomination here<http://awards.mit.edu/awards>.

Many of the awards highlight students and/or student organizations for efforts directed towards making MIT a more welcoming place, diversity & inclusion, and advocacy.

6.              GSC DEI & Grad Students for a Healthy MIT Spring Mixer

When: March 11, 6-8 pm

Where: TBD on campus ---  RSVPs will receive location next Friday

Food: Pizza will be provided, RSVP<http://link.gmreg5.net/x/d?c=6392107&l=5b1e819a-bbb4-4497-a2c7-e6d369459e2e&r=afc2f7ce-64ad-47a3-9607-2c2c96ecf1fc> by Friday March 6

Social mixer open to all graduate students, bring your friends! Come meet students in DEI and G4HMIT involved in establishing equity in mental health across campus. Learn about advocacy efforts including improved student health insurance, faculty advising accountability/transparency, childcare support, and more

Apply for the DCI Community Fund to receive $150 for your next event!

The goal of the GSC DCI Community Fund<http://link.gmreg5.net/x/d?c=6392107&l=a79fb6af-e228-4fcd-8464-e63dd5d7258e&r=afc2f7ce-64ad-47a3-9607-2c2c96ecf1fc> is to encourage diversity-focused dialogue within and across graduate departments at MIT. Department and institute-wide student groups invited to apply. Applications approved on a rolling basis!

GSC DEI Committee Currently Recruiting Department Conduits

GSC DEI is currently recruiting Conduits --- graduate student representatives who are interested in diversity, inclusion, and equity efforts in their department. They inform the diversity priorities supported by the GSC and receive support to work on practical goals for improving the diversity climate within their own departments. Learn more<http://link.gmreg5.net/x/d?c=6392107&l=e16f1aa6-52f1-44f3-aea6-cf04af49119d&r=afc2f7ce-64ad-47a3-9607-2c2c96ecf1fc> to join or view current Conduits<http://link.gmreg5.net/x/d?c=6392107&l=b48c1b83-6667-46f5-90fb-3437c5901e43&r=afc2f7ce-64ad-47a3-9607-2c2c96ecf1fc>

DEI Survey & Data Analysis Grad Community Fellow Position Now Open

Already doing diversity work? Want to also get paid $675/month? Apply to be a DEI Graduate Student Survey Fellow now! Opportunities include professional development and training with MIT Institutional Research, creative freedom to collect, analyze, and report on MIT’s climate data with exclusive access, and craft your own projects. Position now available for any graduate student to apply (even international students). More information and application available here<http://link.gmreg5.net/x/d?c=6392107&l=00d15a34-5c9b-446e-9ebd-ed8d866c82a3&r=afc2f7ce-64ad-47a3-9607-2c2c96ecf1fc>. Example work from previous fellows: summary slide<http://link.gmreg5.net/x/d?c=6392107&l=6cdfb982-5d37-46c1-8791-d5e6a910de74&r=afc2f7ce-64ad-47a3-9607-2c2c96ecf1fc> and Grad Enrolled Student Survey Data Request flyer<http://link.gmreg5.net/x/d?c=6392107&l=fe7f47c8-f94a-491f-b5ed-d2c120a0da08&r=afc2f7ce-64ad-47a3-9607-2c2c96ecf1fc>

Please don’t hesitate to reach out to the conduit coordinators at gsc-diversity-dci at mit.edu<mailto:gsc-diversity-dci at mit.edu> with any questions!

7.             Warrior Women Film Screening

When: Thursday, March 12th, 6:30PM Pizza, 7PM Screening, Followed by Q&A with Director & Producer Elizabeth A. Castle

Where: Bartos Theater (E15)

Co-sponsored by the LIST Visual Arts Center, Indigenous Peoples Advocacy Committee (IPAC), ICEO, and the MIT Chapter of the American Indian Science and Engineering (AISES).

Part of the Women Take the Reel<https://www.gcws.mit.edu/gcws-events-list/wttrevents2020> film festival.
In the 1970s, with the swagger of unapologetic Indianness, organizers of the American Indian Movement (AIM) fought for Native liberation and survival as a community of extended families.
Warrior Women is the story of Madonna Thunder Hawk, one such AIM leader who shaped a kindred group of activists' children - including her daughter Marcy - into the "We Will Remember" Survival School as a Native alternative to government-run education. Together, Madonna and Marcy fought for Native rights in an environment that made them more comrades than mother-daughter. Today, with Marcy now a mother herself, both are still at the forefront of Native issues, fighting against the environmental devastation of the Dakota Access Pipeline and for Indigenous cultural values.
Through a circular Indigenous style of storytelling, this film explores what it means to navigate a movement and motherhood and how activist legacies are passed down and transformed from generation to generation in the context of colonizing government that meets Native resistance with violence.
For more information about Women Take the Reel and Warrior Women, Click Here!<http://wgs.mit.edu/events-all/warriorwomen>

[cid:image010.jpg at 01D5F6CD.BCC71570]

8.             WEST Conflict Management: Effectively Dealing with Conflict

When: March 12th, 6-8:30PM

Where: Boston Marriott Cambridge, 50 Broadway, Second Floor, Cambridge, MA 02142

Cost: Members: $15; Non-Members: $40

RSVP: here<https://www.westorg.org/2020-03-12-conflict-management-workshop>

Conflict is…any situation in which your concerns or desires differ from those of another person. It occurs daily in organizations between colleagues, teams, staff, vendors, and customers. It occurs daily in all aspects of our lives. Conflict is inevitable and healthy in order for progress to occur. It is also a critical factor when managing change during many life stages of an organization. Yet it is one of the most difficult challenges we all continue to face. How do we manage conflict in an objective and skilled manner? Understanding our own conflict management styles as well as others can empower us to effectively manage conflict. There are five conflict management modes – Avoiding, Accommodating, Compromising, Collaborating and Competing. Recognizing our own style as well as others’ styles heightens our awareness allowing us to communicate more effectively. We have a choice in dealing with conflict. All five conflict-handling modes are available to us and this knowledge can give us a greater sense of control to steer conflicts in different directions by choosing different modes. This interactive session will review these five conflict-handling modes and allow attendees to practice the application of them on specific situations.

About the Presenter

Rita Balian Allen is the founder and president of Rita B. Allen Associates, a national career management firm specializing in executive coaching, leadership development, management training and career development. She is a lecturer at Boston-area universities, a sought-after speaker and presenter, the author of numerous articles, blogs and the book, "Personal Branding and Marketing Yourself: The Three Ps Marketing Technique as a Guide to Career Empowerment". She has been a regular contributor for the Chief Learning Officer Media, Huffington Post and Leadership & Management Books as well as a variety of other publications. Rita was voted one of the top ten executive coaches by the Boston Women's Business Journal.  Full Bio<https://www.ritaballenassociates.com/ritaballenbio.html>

Agenda:
6:00-6:10pm: Registration, mingling, and light dinner
6:10-6:30pm: Facilitated networking
6:30-8:00pm: Workshop
8:00-8:30pm: Optional networking

Given our mission is to promote women's development in STEM we would like to offer a one-time free spot in our workshops to those in transition between jobs. Please contact info at westorg.org if you qualify.

[2020-03-12 Flyer]

9.             Cheney Room: MIT Innovation Initiative Presentation & Lunch

When: Friday, March 13th, 12-1PM

Where: Margaret Cheney Room, 3-310
MIT Innovation Initiative​ staff members Lauren Tyger and Marisol Consuegra Prado will come to the Cheney Room to talk about resources available to students to help them pursue entrepreneurship. The MIT Innovation Initiative endeavors to accelerate the participation of underrepresented groups in innovation and entrepreneurship activities - with the aspiration of broader campus impact. Their first set of Inclusive Innovation programs are designed to address the specific challenges of gender disparity in I&E.  Lauren and Marisol will talk about The Women in Innovation and STEM Database at MIT (WISDM), an initiative designed to promote the visibility and collaboration of women in the MIT community and make it easier to find talented and diverse experts for various projects. Lunch will also be served!

10.         MIT Work-Life Seminar Series
Living Your Life and Managing Your Debts
Wednesday, March 18, 2020 / 12:00pm - 1:30pm / Building: 46-3189
Presenter: Jimmy Becker, M.B.A.; Founder, Financially Speaking
So, you’ve borrowed money and now you need to pay it back. While taking on debt is no doubt stressful, it doesn’t have to mean your world stops turning. This seminar is focused on the best strategies for borrowing money, repaying it, and creating spending strategies that will enable you to live the life you want. You will leave understanding:

  *   Different types of consumer debts and which to pay down first
  *   Your credit score and its impact on your borrowing
  *   Considerations around filing for bankruptcy
  *   When to save more money versus paying off debt
  *   Strategies to manage spending and generate savings
Register<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/living-your-life-and-managing-your-debts-tickets-92045537681>

Our Everyday Environment: Sustainable Practices for a Healthier Life
Thursday, March 19, 2020 / 12:00pm - 1:30pm / Building: 46-3189
Presenter: Lora Babb, M.E.L.P.; Sustainable Economies Program Manager, Manomet
When discussing the subject of toxins, we often think of someplace “out there,” a geographic area or body of water that’s polluted in some way by chemicals. Rarely do we think about our everyday environment—the places we live, work, and play—or about the products we put in and on our bodies. This lively and eye-opening conversation will look at the many chemicals we’re exposed to every day, including what’s really in our personal care and household products. You’ll also learn why indoor air pollution is greater than outdoor air pollution, and how to protect your health by using safer, more natural products on your body and in your home!
Register<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/cut-the-chemicals-sustainable-practices-for-a-healthier-life-tickets-92034263961>

How to Make Healthy Eating a Habit
Wednesday, March 25, 2020 / 12:00pm - 1:30pm / Building: 46-3189
Presenter: Heidi Roth, R.D., L.D.N., B.S.; Owner, Heidi Roth Nutrition
You made a kale smoothie for breakfast, but Jean from accounting brought in donuts for the whole office. Adiós kale smoothie! We all know what we “should” be doing to be healthy, so why aren’t we doing it? Why are bad habits so easy to create? And why does bad food taste so good? During this interactive seminar, you will learn:

  *   How habits are created
  *   Tips and tools to create better habits
  *   Small daily habits that can have a big impact on your health and happiness
Register<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/how-to-make-healthy-eating-a-habit-tickets-92038647071>

Investing 201: Continuing the Conversation
Wednesday, April 1, 2020 / 5:00pm – 7:00pm / NE49-5000
Dinner will be available beginning at 5:00pm and the seminar presentation will run from 5:30pm - 7:00pm.
Presenter: Steven Dimitriou, A.I.F., Q.P.F.C.; Managing Partner, Mayflower Advisors
Knowledge is power – especially when it comes to investing your hard-earned money! This seminar is intended for those with a foundational understanding of investments. After a brief review of Investing 101: Learn the Basics (presented in Fall 2019), we will do a deep dive into the various investment vehicles and options, specifically the advantages and disadvantages of IRAs, Roth IRAs, Annuities, and 529 Plans.
Register<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/investing-201-continuing-the-conversation-tickets-92052584759>

Pathways to Happiness: Focusing on What Matters
Wednesday, April 15, 2020 / 12:00pm - 1:30pm / Building: 46-3189
Presenter: Joan Klagsbrun, Ph.D.; Certifying Coordinator, Focusing-Oriented Psychotherapist and Focusing Trainer, The International Focusing Institute
Did you know that the average person requires five positive comments to cancel out just one negative? This type of negative thinking is not only common, but also serves as a roadblock to well-being. If you want to learn how to retrain your brain, join this interactive workshop where you will:

  *   Learn about the tenets and benefits of positive and mindful thinking for emotional and physical health
  *   Define simple techniques to combat negativity bias and to enhance and deepen positivity
  *   Explore and bring focus to experiences and aspects of your life that carry the most meaning and joy
  *   Discuss approaches toward incorporating happiness and well-being practice into your regular routine
Register<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/pathways-to-happiness-focusing-on-what-matters-tickets-92040757383>

Breaking Through the Gridlock: The Power of Conversation in a Polarized World
Tuesday, April 28, 2020 / 5:00pm - 7:00pm / Building: 46-3189
Dinner will be available beginning at 5:00pm and the seminar presentation will run from 5:30pm - 7:00pm.
Presenter: Jason Jay, M.Ed., Ph.D.; Senior Lecturer and Director, MIT Sloan Sustainability Initiative
Think of the last time you tried to talk to someone who didn’t agree with you about an important issue. How did it go? Often, working toward a future where humans and nature can thrive gets stuck in the noisy traffic jam of competing ideas, priorities, and ideologies. Join MIT Sloan’s Jason Jay (senior lecturer and director, MIT Sloan Sustainability Initiative) for an interactive workshop based on his book Breaking Through Gridlock: The Power of Conversation in a Polarized World<https://breakingthroughgridlock.com/>. You will learn concepts and strategies for moving beyond “preaching to the choir” and leading change across lines to ensure a sustainable future for generations to come.
Register<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/the-power-of-conversation-in-a-polarized-world-tickets-92058317907>

Couples and Money: What’s Love Got to Do with It?
Wednesday, April 29, 2020 / 12:00pm - 1:30pm / Building: 46-3189
Presenter: Ina Bachman, L.I.C.S.W., T.I.W.C., C.E.A.P.; Founder and Coach, Bachman Coaching
This seminar will examine the powerful impact money has on relationships. During this discussion, you will:

  *   Analyze how couples think and communicate about money
  *   Understand why couples fight about money
  *   Explore simple tactics for avoiding money roadblocks that may affect your relationship
  *   Receive advice around building a resilient partnership that can withstand financial concerns and challenges
Register<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/couples-and-money-whats-love-got-to-do-with-it-tickets-92049463423>

Stop Stress, Build Resilience
Thursday, May 14, 2020 / 12:00pm - 1:30pm / Building: 46-3189
Presenter: Jim Porter, M.A.L.S.; CEO, StressStop
Most of us use stress management techniques reactively—only when we are already stressed and on days when we have spare time, which come all too rarely. During this seminar, you will learn six steps that you can use to manage stress proactively. These steps focus on:

  1.  Connecting the dots between your stress symptoms and your sources of stress
  2.  Applying problem-solving techniques to eliminate unnecessary stress
  3.  Leveraging cognitive restructuring to change your stressful thinking patterns on the fly
  4.  Using present-moment awareness to turn everyday activities like walking, eating, listening, and taking a shower into restorative mindfulness moments
  5.  Creating a daily resilience routine to prevent the buildup of stress
  6.  Building your social support network to create short, feel-good connections with others throughout your day
Register<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/stop-stress-build-resilience-tickets-92042464489>

Choosing Quality Child Care
Monthly / 12:00pm – 1:30pm / NE49-5000
This introductory discussion is specially designed for expectant parents and those new to parenting or child care. The Choosing Quality Child Care session addresses your different infant and toddler child care options, what child care costs, how to find and evaluate your child care choices, planning your parental leave, and the transition to parenting.
Presenter: Kathy Kasabula, B.A.; Program Specialist, MIT Work-Life Center
Register<https://hr.mit.edu/worklife/child-care#childcare>

11.          Deborah James, 23rd Secretary of the US Air Force – “Aim High: Chart Your Course and Find Success”

When: Tuesday, March 17

What: Lecture 4-5pm (Reception held before from 3:30-4pm in 33-106)

Where: 35-225
In her book Aim High: Chart Your Course and Find Success, James shares her personal and professional challenges as the second woman to lead the US Air Force.

[cid:image012.jpg at 01D5F6CD.BCC71570]

12.         Harvard Women in Consulting Panel

When: Thursday, March 19th, 6-8PM

Where: Harvard Northwest Science Building Room, B101 (52 Oxford St, Cambridge, MA)

RSVP: here<https://harvardgsasconsultingclub.us20.list-manage.com/track/click?u=fa9d4e20492e5920fe9969213&id=466ac29efb&e=73290cea94>
You are warmly invited to attend the 2020 Women in Consulting Panel, organized by the Harvard GSAS Consulting Club. This event will be held on Thursday, March 19th at 6:00 PM, at Harvard Northwest Science Building Room B101 (Cambridge). The Women in Consulting Panel aims to raise awareness for consulting as a career path and will address several topics including gender diversity in the consulting profession. During this event, a panel of eminent women consultants from different firms including BCG, Bain, McKinsey, Clearview, Putnam and more! will share their experience as consultants and provide actionable guidance to help you thrive in the consulting world. The event will consist of a keynote, panel and networking session. Refreshments will be served.
Note: although with a focus on women in consulting careers, this event is open to all!

13.         WEST Women & Wealth: Setting Your Course to a Strong Financial Future

When: March 25th, 6-8PM

Where: Broad Institute of MIT and Harvard, 415 Main Street, Cambridge, MA 02142

RSVP: here<https://www.westorg.org/2020-03-25-women-wealth-financial>

Women are a powerful economic force, controlling nearly 40%--or $11.2 trillion—of all investable assets in the U.S. as primary decision-makers. They also represent almost half of the entire U.S. professional workforce. However, women face unique financial challenges and the many roles they play—business owner, scientist, technologist, mother, sister—influence the many financial obligations they have for themselves and their families.1

But true wealth is about more than just a woman’s money. It’s about a woman’s life and the things she values most as well as the relationships, interests and goals that bring her joy. Putting all these elements at the heart of a woman’s long-term wealth management strategy helps ensure that she will achieve the financial future that she envisions.

Please join us for an informative seminar designed to help you identify and prioritize your objectives, and then begin to build a personalized plan that helps maximize your probability of achieving the goals you have for yourself and your loved ones, however life unfolds.

1 American Funds.  Women Control a Growing Percentage of Investable Assets, March 6, 2017. Available at https://www.americanfunds.com/individual/news/by-the-numbers/women-and-money.html

Presenters included:

·        Alicia Andre, CFA, Senior Vice President, Family Wealth Director and Financial Advisor, Morgan Stanley Wealth Management, NMLS #1489623

·        Lindsay Pazdan, CFP, Associate Vice President and Financial Advisor, Morgan Stanley Wealth Management, NMLS #1498369

Women and Wealth Fact Sheet<https://www.westorg.org/assets/media/2020-03-25%20Women%20and%20Wealth%20Fact%20Sheet.pdf>

Agenda:
6:00-6:10pm: Registration, mingling, and light dinner
6:10-6:30pm: Facilitated networking
6:30-7:30pm: Presentation
7:30-8:00pm: Optional networking

[2020-03-25 Flyer]

14.         Trans Day of Visibility

Where: Rainbow Lounge (50-250)

When: Tuesday, March 31st, 1-6PM

All day snacks, buttons, books, pins, and more celebrate trans visibility.  There will also be a special T-Time meeting happening.  Email lmcnair at mit.edu<mailto:lmcnair at mit.edu> for further details

15.           Building Success with Optimism, Resilience, and Grit

When: April 27th, 6-8:30PM

Where: Sanofi, 68 New York Avenue, Framingham, MA 01701

RSVP: here<https://www.westorg.org/2020-04-27-optimism-resilience-grit-workshop>
Cost: WEST Members: $10; Non-Members: $25. A light dinner will be served.

This interactive workshop focuses on the next level of leadership and people development - keeping one's self strong in mind through optimism, resilience, and grit. Through group and partner discussions, we will explore ways to strengthen or teach others optimism, resilience, and grit. You will learn how to strengthen and develop Optimism. We will also explore ways to build Resilience as a competency to overcome change and challenges. The workshop will end with ways to strengthen GRIT as a competency that differentiates exceptional performers from good performers, which impacts business results.

About the Speaker - Sarah Scala

As a dynamic consultant, executive coach, and educator, Sarah Scala has over 20 years of experience in supporting organization development, leadership, coaching, talent management, learning design, team effectiveness, and change management for diverse client organizations. Sarah brings high energy, optimism, and adaptability to new challenges. She has led talent development initiatives for start-ups to Fortune 100 companies as a partner and trusted adviser. She is passionate about creating solutions that strengthen interpersonal skills and support positive change with individuals, teams, and organizations. Full Bio<https://static1.squarespace.com/static/5aa57f95b40b9d681b6ed7a8/t/5d5182132eb29f0001f093ba/1565622804036/Sarah+A+Scala+BIO+2019.pdf>

Agenda:
6:00-6:10pm: Registration, mingling, and light dinner
6:10-6:30pm: Facilitated networking
6:30-8:00pm: Workshop
8:00-8:30pm: Optional networking

[2020-04-27 Flyer]

16.         WEST Attentive Listening Workshop

When: May 19th, 6-8:30PM

Where: PerkinElmer, 940 Winter Street, Waltham, MA 02451<https://goo.gl/maps/JF8ehzM2gYfuGfBC8>

Cost: Members: $25; Non-Members: $50

RSVP: here<https://www.westorg.org/2020-05-19-attentive-listening-workshop>

WEST and The Society of Professional Consultants<https://www.spconsultants.org/> are partnering to bring you this engaging workshop.

Listening is the most highly correlated skill with emotional intelligence in leaders. It's also the primary skill needed for resolving conflict and having empathic discussions. And while great listening skills are easy to learn; according to the Center for Creative Leadership, most leaders get very low scores from their key stakeholders on their listening ability - but rate themselves much higher. In this workshop, we'll practice attentive listening as defined by Stephen Covey, and take a short self-assessment to determine what might be in the way of being a respectful and attentive listener. We'll also explore how listening leads to influence which is critical for anyone who needs to get things done without having positional power.

PRESENTER

Angie is a Master Certified Coach with two decades of international business experience that included expatriate assignments in Zurich and Hong Kong while in the financial services industry. In 2002, she became an entrepreneur and co-founded 3D Leadership Group, a boutique executive coaching firm based in Wellesley, Massachusetts. In 2013, Angie was recognized as the New England Executive Coach of the Year by her peers at the International Coach Federation. Most recently, Angie has coached leaders at Amazon Robotics, Biogen, Boston Private, Crane Currency, The Broad Institute, Charles River Associates, John Hancock, Kronos, McGraw-Hill, Novo Nordisk, Partners Healthcare, and Progress Software. She coaches in the executive education programs at Harvard Business School, Babson College, and Bentley University. Her pro-bono work includes coaching for the Massachusetts State Police, the Social Innovation Forum, and serving as a mentor coach for two professional coaching schools. Click here for Angie's full bio<https://www.westorg.org/assets/Panelist/angie_odonnell_bio.pdf>.