[Tango-L] Not dancing with the music

Felicity Graham graham.felicity at gmail.com
Sat Jun 6 07:37:47 EDT 2015

Ming Mar wrote:  "The following video shows students respecting
the beat of the music and not bumping into each other."

A practica, by definition is not a class, hence I do not see the relevance
of "teaching" & this video to the point in question.  Still I think it is a
great idea to use a video to illustrate a point though this is a difficult
one to use because it chops from couple to couple & doesn't really let you
see how any couple deals with musical phrase. Some of the guys are on the
beat.  Some of the women are  moving *with* them. I don't see anyone
particularly dancing the music, but then I wouldn't get up to dance that
track myself.

Too bad they didn't use the much better version by Rodriguez
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWXcdw56Rew instead of the goo they are
dancing to.

But the main point is I didn't say that "staying on the beat" was hard to
teach, I said I thought these things were hard to teach "*stays in the line
of dance, is safe, dances the music, isn't forceful, and has a **nice
embrace. *"   "Dancing the music" is not at all the same thing as "staying
on the beat".

Ming Mar wrote:  "The teacher or teaching assistant should check each
student to see if he/she feels right because you can't tell by simply
looking."

I think that is a strange idea - a teacher "checking" an embrace to see if
it "feels right".  Honestly?  Consider the alternative.