[Tango-L] Women's left arm

Lois Donnay donnay at donnay.net
Sat Jun 6 13:07:59 EDT 2015

I just watched a video with Ricardo Viqueira
<https://www.facebook.com/ricardo.viqueira?fref=photo> and Marria Plazaola
dancing a milonga at Apulia Tango Festival on Facebook.  It was lovely.
But a woman (who doesn't dance) commented on the follower's arm: "Does she
keep repositioning her arm to better interpret where he is leading?".

Maria has her arm in the "new fashion", elbow up, spread fingers down, arm
connected below the leader's bicep.  I am not a fan, and after watching the
video it appears that Ricardo is not either.  He does what I have to do
sometimes when leading a woman who does this - he moves his arm, it
appears, to reposition her arm back up onto his shoulder.

Why is this a thing now? Who started it? Leaders, do you like it or not? I
have followed like this when teaching a student, to remind them to stand up
- a little push on the lower back can remind a man not to slouch.  But I
don't like that arm hanging on my left side when leading, because it is
uncomfortable, and I'm only 5'3, 120 lbs, and I can't handle that extra
weight.

Lois Donnay, MN
www.mndance.com

ᐧ