[Tango-L] Women's power in tango

Pat Petronio petronio at adam.com.au
Fri Jun 5 22:37:51 EDT 2015

Michael,

Rest assured that you are not alone on this issue. I've had many
conversations with women in our tango community about exactly the same
thing. I have asked exactly the same question: "Is BAD tango better than NO
tango?"

Some women refer to gender imbalances when explaining their choice of "BAD
tango".  However, not wanting to hurt the man's feelings is the most common
reason here. It seems that our society has created women who are just too
NICE for their own good. Some explain their habit with ballroom dancing
etiquette, where apparently it’s rude to refuse an invitation (I have not
experience with ballroom dancing, so can't say if this is true).

Despite living in a modern country with gender equality, these women don't
seem to realise that they have some power.  They have the power of choosing
their partner in a milonga (especially with the cabeceo). The broader
implication of this is that they also have power to improve their tango
community. Their choice of declining invitations from men whose behaviour or
dancing skills are unacceptable will send a message to those individuals,
ie. to shape up.

To put it another way, I think that the women who continue to tolerate bad
behaviour and complain are unwittingly part of the problem. More details on
this post:
http://www.tangosalonadelaide.blogspot.com.au/2012/06/imagine-if.html.

Perhaps these women simply need to be empowered. Here are some strategies
for selecting a dance partner which may help
http://tangosalonadelaide.blogspot.com.au/2013/03/how-to-choose-dance-partne
r.html

I feel very strongly about this. So Michael, I’m glad you pressed the “SEND”
button.

Patricia
Adelaide, Australia

Message: 4