[Tango-L] Not dancing with the music

Steve Littler sl at stevelittler.com
Fri Jun 5 17:29:12 EDT 2015

On 5/19/15 5:56 PM, Steve Littler wrote:
> It is a problem in all communities because most classes teach steps
> choreography and take a long time to master. But our most popular
> classes are musicality because it raises the level of the dancers so
> quickly.
>
> El Stevito de Gainesville
But I should also like to add in defense of men in general, most women
at the milonga don't really even walk very well or have a good
connection, consequently they don't receive or respond to the signal
when men do/try to dance musically.

So when you see a couple that looks nice dancing with the music, it's
BOTH of them together making it happen.

So another question would be: why don't more women learn to walk or
connect better?

(My answer is that it is hard to learn, takes a lot of time and self
practice, requires lots of expensive private lessons with a good teacher
and detailed feedback and corrections, and lots of time practicing at
real pracitcas with good leaders giving lots of insightful feedback.
What get's in the way of this: lack of time, money and bad feedback from
leaders who think they know a lot but don't really or who are arrogant
and insulting or give poor feedback. So when you see a woman who dances
very well, it is the exception rather than the rule. And the same can be
said for the men. Which begs another question: how to lessen the time
and expense on the road to becoming a good dancer?)

El Stevito de Gainesville