[Tango-L] Come to Buenos Aires; then we will talk!

Phil Seyer professionalsguild at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 14:13:41 EDT 2015

Hey, don't take my comments too seriously!  With that warning out of the
way, let me say this: ​I've often heard...

..in Buenos Aires, the custom is... in Buenos Aires, we don't dance to the
first tune played by the orchestra... we don't directly ask a woman to
dance...we don't do ganchos in social dancing.

...in Buenos Aires this, and in Buenos Aires that...

But for those of us living in North America -- do we always have to copy
everything they do?   Can we have our own North American interpretation of
Argentine tango? ​

​If we are going to do everything the way they do it in Argentina then
perhaps we ought to have smoke filled dance halls and scoff at those who
complain about smoke.  Tell 'em off: "You weak American! " (hey, that's an
actual comment made to me in this list when I asked about where to get a
device to filter the air."

Close embrace -- the true connection -- that's what authentic Argentine
tango is all about -- so perhaps we should insist that everyone, even
beginners always use it.  Who cares if it scares off a lot of women.  If
they can't take the close embrace, they shouldn't be dancing Argentine
tango.  After all, Argentine tango is all about connection.

HIgh Boleos and Pulpo Moves. Those people doing or leading high boleos and
Pulpo moves have no real connection.  "Learn then true connection of
Argentine tango. Come to Buenos Aires. -- Then we will talk." (For full
effect, be sure to speak with a thick accent.)

If we steadily focus on our intention, especially if the intention be of
profit to others as well as ourselves, the intention will fill us with
vibrant energy and nerves of steel.

Phil Seyer
Director Professionals Guild
​http://tangovideos.ning.com​