[Tango-L] male/female dancers

Shahrukh Merchant shahrukh at shahrukhmerchant.com
Sun Apr 19 16:09:55 EDT 2015

Dubravko Kakarigi writes:
> Almost without an exception (I could probably come up with one or
> two), applause during a "demo" dance is given when a leader (most
> often a male) does something beautiful/new/creative/surprising.

Well, in the sense that the leader is, by definition, leading, I suppose
he'd be the one initiating the "trick" (my general term for something
designed to get applause). Of course, in a choreographed routine, which
many exhibitions are, the woman is not depending as much on the lead for
knowing what to do and when, although she may be for physical support
(depending on the trick).

I avoid applause during the dance, partially since the applause seems
interruptive to me (I know I'm an exception), and partially since
tricks, unless they are done by really good dances, tend to decrease the
overall quality of the dance (sometimes it gets "cheap applause" anyway
but ends up requiring the dancers to break form in some way). In many
cases, they end up making me flinch.

> When you look at dancers during an
> exhibition/demo dance, where is your focus?
> I contend that a beautiful form of one dancer is nearly impossible to
> display consistently without the adequately good technique of the
> other.

I don't think so. While the adage, "It takes two to tango," certainly
holds literally as well (Pocho Pizarro notwithstanding :-)), and one
cannot look good without the other, it is quite apparent to me if one
partner is a better dancer relative to the other (and thus being limited
in some sense by the other). I'd imagine that most Tango dancers, even
not very experienced ones, would notice this too.

I tend to focus on the better dancer, though it's more pleasurable to
watch if they are well matched, in which case the whole is greater than
the sum of the parts, and I don't think I'm focussing more on one or the
other.

> I also contend that female dancers rarely get sufficient credit for
> their own expressed musicality and beautiful forms.

I don't see this at all--if anything, I would have said the opposite.
There's a (somewhat admittedly overused) metaphor of the woman being the
painting and the man the frame, but there is some truth to it, and even
more so in performance dancing. Sure you have some exceptions, where the
guy is somewhat of a ham and more famous than his partner so he feels
the need to "show off" and the crowd expects nothing less (Miguel Ángel
Zotto comes to mind--and I can think of none of his partners off the top
of my head). Guillermina Quiroga is an obvious counter-example where no
matter whom she's dancing with, she's going to be the one commanding the
attention, both by her presence (all the more impressive for her small
stature) and her dancing. When Carlos Gavito danced with Marcela Duran
I'd watch them both as a couple--when he danced with anyone else, I'd
end up watching him. And so on--I could probably come up with a dozen
examples where one or the other commands more attention, at least for
me, or where it's the couple together that does.

Shahrukh