[Tango-L] male/female dancers

Mario sopelote at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 19 05:19:15 EDT 2015

 I have some observations on these topics that interest me; first of all, when watching a video taken at a performance  say, at a festival in Instanbul that is full of young people  and far from BsAs, the surprise factor and atheletisim is what   gets the applause and yes the female contributes equally as the    male because the trick figure was well rehearsed, correagraphed ahead of time.  On the other hand, a video from a dance taken in BsAs that is at an   older, traditional venue and peopled by older, traditional dancers,     will hear applause whenever the couple exhibits a dance sequence that       perfectly and creatively illustrates the music being played.    As for women not being given full credit for their musicality, I strongly agree.    In my own town, we have recently hosted an International festival.    I was able to spend time observing a lot of (new to me) dancers and couples who dance     together frequently. What surprised me was the timing of the women's steps      that were musicaly perfectly in sync while the men's stepping was labored and       OFTEN out of sync with the songs..mis-steps you could call them.    Perhaps, the woman's role helped a bit, sensing the lead and listening to the song.    while the man's role looked more like "hmm, what should I do next ?" ...which produced     many a stagger while he got into position for the "next" figure.