[Tango-L] The Sound of the Music

Keith Elshaw keith at totango.net
Mon Apr 20 17:32:23 EDT 2015

(This verges on a “commercial” post - which L rules allow once a year -
to share and present to those who’ve never heard).

In 2000 after more than 10 years of continually collecting all the tango
music I could find, and loving it and dancing and dj-ing and learning
with a passion, something unique happened which changed my relationship
with tango.

It was an innocent question from a woman I dated which caused an
epiphany. She grumpily asked while dancing, “why do you like that OLD
music?”

She was happy to dance all night to Color Tango or anything recent, but
really did not want to hear the great old orquestas for more than a
tanda at a time. It blew my mind that Biagi/D'Arienzo or Canaro or old
Pugliese didn't make her jump up and want to dance.

This really bothered me. It seemed to me she wasn’t HEARING the music
and feeling it; and I knew she wasn’t alone in this.

I started losing sleep over it. If people hearing just the noise and
lack of quality caused them to totally miss the beauty and creativity in
the music and the possibilities for their dancing, was there something I
could do about that … humble, just-a-dancer and sound engineer me? And
wouldn't dancers who already loved the old music not appreciate it even
more if the quality improved from what is available on CDs?

So I got serious about finding out if I could make a difference.

Thus began my odyssey of tango restoration.

My first renderings weren’t nearly as good as I’d hoped to achieve but
people around the world (many here) encouraged me keep going. How I love
them for that; THEY are actually responsible for the later
break-through, you could say.

Together with finding better source material, the pro audio technology
rapidly progressed after 2006 and I kept buying new devices to aid in
the work and developing nuanced techniques.

Every time I made advances I went back over all my tracks and re-did
them. Of course I am limited by how good my source material is, so I
constantly collect, searching for versions even a teensy bit better that
what I already have.

My goal has been to put better sounding music in the hands of people who
love tango and to make the dancehalls of the world create optimum
environments for dancers. I teach dj’s how to be better through quality,
organization and optimum choices in the moment.

It’s a symbiotic relationship between me and dancers: I work on the
music; people buy it and I put the money back in to revealing more and
more of the old recordings in their original glory. I have almost 5,000
songs in my restored catalogue now, and I tell folks that not all are
purely for dancing – some are just interesting for what the universe of
tango recordings is and recreating the times in one’s mind. Those
curiosities are basically thrown in for free in a package I call
Collector.

I tell you this so you know there is one guy in the world that can
answer the question for skeptics as to WHY the old music is the best.
“Listen to this!” Virtually no noise, everything enhanced and leveled,
cut to optimum length for milonga play, sounding hot on any sound system
in any dancehall. Organized so everything sits in
chronological/alphabetical order in your Tango/Milonga/Vals folders. If
there is a singer on the track, the name appears in the file name (Biagi
40 Ortiz_Todo Te Nombra - released in 1940 and Ortiz is the vocalist).
Available in Wav or MP3 or both. Buy a few via download or buy a lot.  I
just want people to have it - sounding  as good as it can today.

I always tell people that the musicians and singers were kids when they
made it – when you hear it as good as it can sound, it goes right to
your heart with the force it had the day it was recorded. It wasn’t old
then – and it doesn’t have to sound old now.

So if you ever meet someone who would like to really hear it, please
tell them about me. Based on the feedback I get, they will probably
thank you.

As much as hoping people would support me if they knew what I am doing,
I’ve just wanted people to be aware of choosing the best music they can
for dancing; being able to identify what sounds good and what ought to
be replaced with a better choice.

I also take my stories and tips on the road and love sharing when I get
invitations to other cities. I love doing dj workshops for people who
have no desire to dj; more knowledge from dancers makes everything work
better and keep going up. I loved being in Pittsburgh; loved being in
New York at New Year’s for 6 wonderful gigs and look forward to
Australia’s south-eastern cities.

And as always, thank you for reading.

Keith

Details and free demo and more: http://ToTANGO.net