[Tango-L] The state of "nuevo" music

Robert Dodier robert.dodier at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 16:30:57 EDT 2012

For the record, around here (Boulder/Denver Colorado USA)
dancing tango steps to non-tango music seems to be a constant
factor, not too big and not too small, and not really changing
much over time. There are a few events which play a mix of
tango and non-tango music, and sometimes DJ's at events
otherwise devoted to conventional tango music will play a few
non-tango songs for tango dancers. (It's rare that tango DJ's play
non-tango music for non-tango dancers, e.g. swing, salsa, etc.)

The tango music versus non-tango discussion seems to have
died down around here, with the end result that people that
want it go to the events that have it, otherwise they don't.

I'm comfortable with that. I might get worked up about it if
it seemed like non-tango music was on the rise, but as it
stands, it seems OK. I get worked up about other things --
basically the emphasis on steps instead of the embrace,
and the replacement of the milonga by the workshop as
the most important social event. Those are problems even
if all the music involved is 100% pure, straight down the
middle of the road, favorite Golden Age orchestras (as
it usually is, in fact).

Happy dances to all,

Robert Dodier
Boulder, CO