[Tango-L] Getting tango lessons to the needy

Brick Robbins brick at brickrobbins.com
Wed Jun 29 12:54:32 EDT 2011

 On Tue, 28 Jun 2011 13:50:38  "Michael" <tangomaniac at cavtel.net> wrote

> The Argentines only use about seven figures to dance. That was a wake up call when I visited BA.

I really find these grand generalizations amusing.

The young Argentinians I see dancing in Milonga10 or El Yeite Tango
Club use a much larger vocabulary than the old Argentinians I see
dancing in Cachirulo or Gricel.

They are all Argentine. Tango here in Baires is really big. It is hard
or impossible to see it all.  A typical tourist 2 week visit only
gives one a snapshot of the milongas portenas. I think it is wise to
not make over broad generalizations from such a small sample size.

And asking the Portenos doesn't really shed much light on the
diversity, because the locals I know tend to dance where they are
comfortable, and think that what happens in their favorite milongas is
"tango."  Many would not ever dream of going to "those other places,"
where "it is only a meat market" or  "what they dance is not tango" or
"where all the people are so old."

All IMHO, YMMV.