[Tango-L] How can one attract more male dancers onto the dance floor?

Mario sopelote at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 29 13:40:19 EST 2011

Frankly, with many teachers teaching step combinations, I often stand there
in the class, thinking:"Thank God, I am not a man. I would never be able to
remember all that." As a woman, as long as you have good technique, you can
leave almost all the memorising up to the man, and that's why so many women
"can do it", and the men cannot. Men not only have to learn their own steps,
but the leads as well.
..
 ..the above paragraph from a previous thread is my guess as to 'why' the
problem.
 More 'complicated' means more and endless classes...it serves the 'teacher'
well
 and most women too...because it seems to me that it is more the woman who
 is gaa-gaa to be taught more steps and patterns..  sorry ladies. ..and that is
why
 there are more women in the advanced classes.  I believe I'm telling it like it
is.

...the answer is to teach the social dance as something simple but with good
fundamentals
 of posture, walk, balance, etc..  As we have seen in the social dance of
traditional argentine tango,
 the average milonguero doesn't use more than a handfull of moves, he just makes
those few better
 and better...if the guy was taught well for a dozen classes and turned loose
with a limited but effective
 repretoir, he could too, go on to perfect his own dance... and get a lot of
dancing done instead of classes.
  of course we are talking here of the traditional dance...when it comes to
Nuevo, also THE favorite of the

  ladies, it becomes a different dance altogether....  I have no suggestions for
that dance.

www.youtube.com/user/nacotete
www.theopendoorway.org/audiovisual.html
"Life expands or contracts in direct proportion to one's courage." -Anais Nin
"The ultimate aim for every human being is to be immensely creative"-Norm.Mailer