[Tango-L] Melina's two cents

Tony Rathburn webmaster at tonyrathburn.com
Wed Jan 26 09:08:54 EST 2011

On 26/01/2011 09:15, Alexis Cousein wrote:

"One thing the foreigners have probably done is ensure that in the not
too distant future we'll still see elderly men (and women¹!) in the
milongas. I think it's fair to say that were it not for the interest
that foreigners took in tango, the generation that is now in their
seventies would possibly have been the last one, and the milonga in
BBAA would have gone the way the "bal muzette" went over here,
with only some vestigial remains dotting the landscape."

Tango in BsAs has survived world wars, internal Argentine struggles,
dictatorships, military rule and financial meltdown.  I don't think it's fair to
imply that the interest of foreigners 'saved' (my word... not Alexis') tango...

Foreign interest in tango has made it more global... and has also changed the
nature in which it is viewed.  Unfortunately, that minimal commercial interest
has also included marginalizing the depth the culture of origin contributed.
Few outside of BsAs take time to view it as anything more than a dance.  Where
is the support for the musicians in a world that freely copies music, rather
than purchasing it?  Where is the commercial organization and sponsorships to
produce quality videos, that would provide income for the top dancers?  Where
are the tango shows that would truly highlight tango... rather than promoting
the surface stereotype?  Where is the interest that would support a Las Vegas
show... or touring shows and events by the best of the best?  Where is the
support for the song writers, the artists, the technical production staffs that
are a part of the arts in other areas?

Even if we were to limit our conversation to the dance itself, there is little
support for tango.  Too often, the same dancers who will spend U$S 200 for one
of many pairs of shoes to wear to the milonga, balk at spending 20 pesos for a
milonga.  Too often, dancers seek out the least expensive way to capture the
surface qualities of tango for their own gratification, rather than truly
expressing an interest in those artists who have dedicated their lives to the
art.

If the foreigners truly want to express an interest in tango, I think it is time
that they do it in a way that Western culture does best... invest !!!

Establish quality milongas... in quality venues... support quality
instructors... expect quality music.  Then invest your time, energy and
resources in spreading quality tango.  Understand why tango is danced as it is
in BsAs, by the Argentines, not the way the tourists dance it... not the way the
foreigners have modified it.   Invest the time in learning and practicing,
before thinking you are capable of improvising and creating something new... or
teaching...

Ask your instructors to show you how to start to learn the basics of the dance.
Ask them to show you how to truly learn tango.  If you want to be a social
dancer, ask them to teach you social tango.  Then, if you've actually spent the
time to practice, and achieved some level of competency, If you want to be a
performer... ask them to teach you performance tango.

Foreign interest in tango has been almost exclusively at the consumer level.  We
foreigners have attempted to consume the pieces of tango that we like.. and have
discarded the rest as unimportant... and, we have done that with no real
understanding of what tango is.  In far too many cases, we have not even taken
the time to understand what good tango is... rather, we adopt a 'wow... look at
that!!!" attitude, and attempt to emulate it...

We attempt a quick and easy approach at learning the dance... and, we are
willing to pay anyone who might 'know' a little more than we do.  We steal the
music... feeling entitled to pass copies freely between friends.  We want the
thrill of the milonga... to look good in the crowd... to stand out... but, we
are not willing to pay a reasonable fee for the production of truly quality
events.  We don't practice much... we prefer to dance...

Yes... I think it's time that foreigners show an interest in tango... real
interest...

tony   (and... yes Alexis... i think this level of interest is important
regardless of gender... both must contribute...)