[Tango-L] Melina's two cents

Alexis Cousein al at sgi.com
Wed Jan 26 03:57:53 EST 2011

On 26/01/2011 09:15, tony parkes wrote:

> my bar is the argentine milongueros.  nothing inspires me more, nor
> educates me more, than to watch these wonderful elderly men most of
> whom are well over 70 strut their stuff

One thing the foreigners have probably done is ensure that in the not
too distant future we'll still see elderly men (and women¹!) in the
milongas. I think it's fair to say that were it not for the interest
that foreigners took in tango, the generation that is now in their
seventies would possibly have been the last one, and the milonga in
BBAA would have gone the way the "bal muzette" went over here,
with only some vestigial remains dotting the landscape.

¹I find it curious to forget the women in this sentence. I certainly
don't only watch the men, and seeing women connecting flawlessly
to the music and subtly influencing the dance is just as enjoyable
as seeing men weave their patient (or not too patient) tapestry. In
fact one of the things that sadden me most about dancing with a
partner is being unable to look at her from a distance, so I'm
always glad to see tem dance with someone else (if he's good).