[Tango-L] Using the Social dance as THE model for the student

Michael tangomaniac at cavtel.net
Wed Jan 19 22:28:34 EST 2011

No, Mario. What I see is you want somebody to copy somebody else's dance so they don't have to come up with their own. This is NOT "Dancing with the Stars" where the pro choreographs a dance for the celebrity to memorize. Do you really want somebody to dance the SAME dance over and over again?

My teacher told me, "Step side left with the woman. You're on your left foot. What foot is the woman standing? If she's standing on her right foot, what can you lead?" Teaching a man how to think is more important than memorizing a routine. Memorized routines don't work when you run out of space.

Michael
I danced Argentine Tango --with the Argentines

From: Mario

What I'm enthused about is arriving at a 'whole'  dance...from beginning to end... expressed throughout as one whole fluid reaction to the music.   I'm comparing again to language aquisition; the difference between studying 'parts of speech' (which doesn't work by-the-way) and hanging into a fluent conversation... as I see it from having just gone thru it., the BIG problem for the 2 and 3 years student is putting it all together and enjoying a complete dance...and at the end feeling that he expressed a whole, complete pice of art.   Don't you see what I'm getting at?  Fluency produces fluency...you study fluency by practicing fluency...not grammar.