[Tango-L] Using the Social dance as THE model for the student

Gordon Erlebacher gerlebacher at fsu.edu
Wed Jan 19 22:40:18 EST 2011

I belive that learning always starts by imitation, followed, with proper instruction,
by improvisation (which is possible once one has a better understanding of the
structure of the dance, along the lines of what Michaels' teacher proposed. There
are many many such examples. Eventually one finds that can do almost anything
almost anywhere!!!

Mario, tango has many facets: connection, improvisation, navigation, technique,
patterns and their infinite variations. Of course, the framework is identical or similar
for everybody.

I learned spanish several years back. To gain fluency, I started by reading sentences
from a book out loud (very important) and repeated these sentences until I could say
them fluently and not haltingly. Then I started listening to songs which provided wider
vocabulary and practiced repeating sections that I understood (more and more in time).
3-4 years after starting this approach, I can not only understand 80% of the spanish that
i hear, but speak fluently (with errors of course), but without the need for translation from
and to english. I see learning the tango as being the same. There is no way a man will
acquire the necessary skills in less then 3-4 years, working hard, and dancing as much
as possible, which you, Mario, appear to be doing.

     Have fun,

        Gordon