[Tango-L] Navigation (was: Using the social dance as THE model)

Michael tangomaniac at cavtel.net
Sat Jan 15 15:39:38 EST 2011

At a traditional BA milonga, like Lo de Celia, the single men and women are
segregated on either side of the floor and use cabeceo to ask for and accept
a dance. The ONLY time two partners can talk is when the music starts to
play. I noticed that about 60% of the couples are moving within 30 seconds
of the music's start, an additional 30% are moving within the next fifteen
seconds, and the remaining ten percent are moving about one minute into the
selection. It would be wonderful if the "late starters" were congregated in
the center but they are spread around the dance floor. I saw one Argentine
actually shove another who wasn't moving.

I try not to pass but there are kamikaze leaders who suddenly cut in front
of me for time consumming figures. When there's a parada, I can't tell how
long his "performance" is going to be so I'll move around. The biggest
problem is when milonga is played because a lot of people dance like it's
tango. Milonga is designed for movement, not pauses nor time consumming
figures.

Michael
I danced Argentine Tango --with the Argentines

John
The main reason for standing and chatting before starting to dance is for
the man to “Mark the music” listen to  the music the beat the rhythm. In BA
it drives me crazy to stand there for 30 or  40 seconds after the music
starts before you start dancing. I force myself to comply out of respect for
the rules of the milongas in BA. In the US I think  it’s okay to mark the
music for a couple of seconds and go. Nothing pisses me off more then the
idiot that just got back from BA and thinks he’s a milonguero and needs to
stand there for eternity after the music starts. I’m like you in  the US I’ll
dance past someone who’s holding up the floor chatting but once the floor is
moving I rarely will pass another couple.
David

tango22 at gmail.com  writes:
Oh, and I can't abide the way we all feel  bound to affect  the "Buenos
Aires" interminable chat at the start of  every song.   Sorry, I like to
dance, so I just listen for the music and go.   That usually results in
passing 5 couples, deep in  conversation.   Guys, it's not like the women
are chaperoned by their mothers any  more, or that you must leave them at
the ladies tables,  BsAs  style.  Can't you chat somewhere else?
John