[Tango-L] Social vs Anti-Social Tango. Was Navigation

Brick Robbins brick at brickrobbins.com
Sat Jan 15 16:55:12 EST 2011

A lot has been said about Stage Tango en la salon vs Social Tango, and
there is a lot of not-so-civil discourse about the shape of the
embrace and what constitutes "authentic" Argentine tango, which in
reality, depends on which era and which barrio you are using as a
standard.

In my way of looking a things, there are really only two important
types of tango
1)Social Tango - Where one respects the other people in the room
2)Anti-Social Tango, where one is primarily concerned with one's self,
or ones partnership.

I have been egregiously run into many times by "Susana-Miller-trained
square-close-embrace-only, downtown-milonguero-style,
anything-else-is-not-tango" anti-social leaders who loudly and often
complain about "nuevo dancers."

I have had many very comfortable tandas dancing near "open embrace
nuevo" social leaders, who transition to something more compact as the
floor gets crowded.

I think it has a lot more to do with attitude and respect than the
shape of the embrace.

"Can't we just all get along"