[Tango-L] Using the social dance as THE model

tony parkes macromagix at gmail.com
Wed Jan 12 08:08:23 EST 2011

hi mario

i liked your video example and your conclusion. i am not technically
minded and therefore cannot label the steps and moves as you have
described, but i do see and feel the connection between the two
dancers, the music and the pista.

unfortunately, too many people heading off to learn tango would find
this video totally boring, yet they would go "wow, gee whiz" after
seeing show tango.  or even worse the unadulterated rubbish that we
see in shows like dancing with the stars or more tragically  demo
performances by travelling "teachers"

and even more unfortunately it takes many years to arrive at an
appreciation of what this couple is accomplishing, thus many newbies
opt for the quick easy fix and shallow gratification of gyrating on
the tango floor, selfishly i must add to the detriment of those
wanting to dance any salon style of tango

until the argentines try to regulate tango through some sort of
official body, including registering the name "tango", then
unfortunately free market forces will reign and the wow, gee whiz
factor will continue to influence newcomers

cheers
tony

On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 2:08 PM, Mario <sopelote at yahoo.com> wrote:

>  Using the social dance as a model instead of the performance can lead a novice
> directly to the goal of enjoying the milonga instead of years of frustration and
> confusion.
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbUai1Lv5-0
>

>  In this video we see two very experienced and capable social dancers showing
> what took decades to smooth out, eliminating the chaff from the grain. Being
> content with intimately knowing 4 or 5 movement sequences that can be improvised
> to fit any music that is Argentine tango.  Watch how the cross footed ochos are
> turned into an ocho cortado and the parallel walk, how the cross footed walk to
> the cross is turned into the ocho cortado and again we are parallel footed..how
> then tucking the right foot behind the left leads to the cross footed walk and
> one of the above sequences repeated..but with a cadence that fits the music..a
> pause, an ornament and then an acceleration..all accenting the beauty of the
> music.  wow, why don't we approach the dance this way? Are we all just dreaming
> of dancing with the stars??
> .

cheers
tony