[Tango-L] Using the social dance as THE model

Mario sopelote at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 11 22:08:03 EST 2011

  Using the social dance as a model instead of the performance can lead a novice
directly to the goal of enjoying the milonga instead of years of frustration and
confusion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbUai1Lv5-0

 In this video we see two very experienced and capable social dancers showing
what took decades to smooth out, eliminating the chaff from the grain. Being
content with intimately knowing 4 or 5 movement sequences that can be improvised
to fit any music that is Argentine tango.  Watch how the cross footed ochos are
turned into an ocho cortado and the parallel walk, how the cross footed walk to
the cross is turned into the ocho cortado and again we are parallel footed..how
then tucking the right foot behind the left leads to the cross footed walk and
one of the above sequences repeated..but with a cadence that fits the music..a
pause, an ornament and then an acceleration..all accenting the beauty of the
music.  wow, why don't we approach the dance this way? Are we all just dreaming
of dancing with the stars??
.