[Tango-L] youtube tango

NANCY ningle_2000 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 6 15:04:54 EST 2011

Ask yourself  would I want a surgeon who had only learned his skill from Youtube videos or one who had studied under the finest surgeons and performed multiple surgeries under supervision and been selected from a number of applicants for a surgical residency or do I want to trust in someone who only watched YouTube surgeries performed by folks of varying skills and experience after some group biology lessons at the local community hall?

Airplane pilots?

Hair stylists?

Almost every trade and skill now uses videos for training but they do it as an adjunct to hands-on, supervised, teaching and practice.

I can always tell the leader who has 'learned' from a video.  He is the one stopping in the middle of the floor to tell me, "Here you are supposed to do a _________."  To which I reply, "Here is where you are supposed to LEAD a _______."

And please, please remember.  Most videos are performance tango, not social tango.  How to know?  Why, if there is only one couple on the floor, they are probably doing a performance.

FYI I am not a tango teacher.  When asked to teach I have said, "I don't know enough" after 17 years of Argentine tango,  multiple trips to BsAs, and a Master's in pedagogy.