[Tango-L] elitism

sherpal1@aol.com sherpal1 at aol.com
Fri Feb 4 17:27:02 EST 2011

Martin: What you discuss is completely clear to me....that is why all
students need to be taught not only tango steps, pasos, figures,
whatever you want to call them...but they must also be taught tango
esthetics. Always the flashy dancers catch the eye of the ill-or
non-informed. They have not been informed about what good close-embrace
tango is...an interior dance,not a showy exterior performance. I try to
guide, especially woman who get caught up in all the flinging and
flailing , that those displays are not real tango....and then I point
out who are the really good, quiet, exquisitly musical and interpretive
dancers on the floor. These follows need to develop an eye for the
subtle...that comes with good instruction. I feel the women who want
the dancing with the stars tango probably aren't really good tangueras
and would be lousy to lead in subtle, heartfelt tango. They may think
they are the elite, but are they?

An untrained observer simply cannot see the elegance, rapture and
beauty that comes between an interior lead and his follow. Too bad for
them..more for me...sherrie