[Tango-L] Tango in NYC Fri/Sat Mar 11/12... what to expect?

Sharon Pedersen sharon.pedersen at gmail.com
Fri Feb 4 17:19:11 EST 2011

Dear Listeros,
  I will be in New York City on Friday Mar. 11 and Saturday Mar. 12.
Of course, I'm looking to go tango dancing.  I'm leaning towards the
Friday Tango Lounge at Dancesport, and the Saturday All Night Milonga
at Stepping Out (not that I will be able to stay up anywhere near all
night).

  What can I expect?  Cabeceo, male/female ratio, style(s) of dancing,
dressiness, music, crowdedness, best time to arrive, etc. (I can't
think of what else I ought to be thinking of to ask)?  Will it help or
hurt if I go to the lesson before the dance?  (Will that give people a
chance to experience my dancing, and want to dance with me?  Or will
others arriving at the start of the dance think I'm a beginner, and
not want to dance with me?)

  Other milongas or practicas I should be considering?  I will be tied
up in a rehearsal and concert on Saturday afternoon from 4-8:30, which
rules out several of the practicas that I would otherwise consider.

  I dance in Portland, Maine, and consider myself a good, but not
expert, follower.  I also lead, but I don't think I would want to try
that in my first visit to a dance where I don't know anyone.

  I really hope I will be able to dance.  On the other hand I am
trying to be prepared to consider it a visual learning experience
only, and learn by watching only, if that's how it works out.

  By way of introducing myself, I'm a long time member of Tango-L, but
haven't posted in a loooooooooong time, and have just changed my email
address.

Many thanks for any suggestions you may have,
__Sharon