[Tango-L] The Tango Invitation or simply a lead

Brick Robbins brick at brickrobbins.com
Wed Feb 2 14:19:37 EST 2011

I found dancers in BsAs using two different Spanish words to signify
what we would call "lead" in English: marcar & llevar.

I even had one lesson where the teacher went to great lengths to
instruct the men in the class to think of leading in terms of "marcar"
instead of "llevar."

Our language sometimes shapes our world view. Looking at the
translations into English, might be instructive to some members of the
list. I'm not going to copy and paste the definitions, as reviewing
them in the dictionary was more revealing to me.

Here are links:
http://www.spanishdict.com/translate/llevar
http://www.spanishdict.com/translate/marcar