[Tango-L] Truth in stereotypes

Charles Roques c.roques at mchsi.com
Wed Feb 2 14:58:02 EST 2011

I personally think Sherrie has a legitimate complaint and I am a male.  I am always admonishing my male students about teaching.  They start doing that from the beginning class but it gets worse after they learn a few steps.  Teachers have to not only emphasis this but they should correct and constantly remind the males/leaders to not do it.  Yes, she is generalizing but many males tend to reinforce this generalization.  I also notice that it's the males who over-intellectualize the most on the Tango-L  demonstrating more their use of language than actually explaining clearly some point about tango, as if their intellect makes them better dancers.  This is the same attitude they bring to the dance floor and practicas.
In fact they tend to dominate the discussions on Tango-L as well.  I think Sherrie has a valid point.

Cheers,
Charles