[Tango-L] Colgadas milongueras & other non-entities

Jack Dylan jackdylan007 at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 23 00:37:20 EDT 2011

I mostly agree with Ron. If I'm at a traditional milonga in BsAs, I'll try to
dance

as the milongueros do, out of respect for the milonga and so as not to identify
myself as a 'dumb tourist'.

If I'm at a non-traditional milonga, which would include every single milonga
I've
attended outside of BsAs [no matter how the organiser might name it], I might
do a few other things. I must admit I love Volcadas and Single Axis Turns, which
I now know is a Colgada. The only rule I have for myself is that I never open
the

embrace.

The problem is that, unless you've attended traditional milongas in BsAs, it's
not possible, IMHO, to actually know how people dance in them. It's difficult
to blame people for their ignorance.

One thing is for sure, in my experience, no one will learn to dance this way
from

99% of traveling teachers/performers, Argentine or otherwise. And how sad is
that?

Jack