[Tango-L] Colgadas milongueras & other non-entities

RonTango rontango at rocketmail.com
Fri Apr 22 11:36:21 EDT 2011

----- Original Message ----
> From: Tom Stermitz <stermitz at tango.org>

> I have to disagree with you Ron. I use volcadas ALL the time.
> Calecitas frequently; Colgadas sometimes; even sandwiches.

> On Apr 22,  2011, at 3:27 AM, RonTango wrote:
>
> > .... Milongueros don't use  colgadas and volcadas.
> >
> > Ron

Tom,

I still hold by the statement that 'Milongueros don't use colgadas and
volcadas'. So therefore it is incorrect to attach 'milonguero/a' to the end of a
step that milongueros don't use.

If someone can provide video proof of an authentic milonguero (not a
self-proclaimed merchant of 'milonguero-style tango') using a colgada or
volcada, please share it. (The one provided previously doesn't meet the
standard.) And I don't mean the slight lean that may occur on SOME occasions
with a calesita. Volcar means 'to fall', not 'to lean'. Even the 'leaning' is
rarer than some tango instructors would have us think. Just spend some time
sitting and watching in the traditional milongas of Buenos Aires. Take a look a
the large collection of videos of milongueros and Buenos Aires milongas by Janis
Kenyon on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/Jantango

As for calesitas and sandwiches, yes, they are used by milongueros, Calesitas,
rarely and subtly, but still visible when they actually might occur. Sandwiches,
sometimes, but not that often either. That's more common as part of what is
sometimes called 'Estilo Villa Urquiza', which is actually relatively rare in
Buenos Aires milongas today.

Why don't we get down to dancing tango as it is really danced in the milongas of
Buenos Aires today rather than applying wishful thinking in making tango what we
want it to be or what some self-proclaimed tango expert wants us to believe is
authentic. Attaching the term 'milonguero' to a step may give us a false sense
of security in accurately representing the culture, but it's just a word, not
necessarily reality.

The focus of tango should be partner connection, connection with the music, and
movement within the ronda, not the naming and testing of steps.

Ron