[Tango-L] Colgadas milongueras & other non-entities

Tom Stermitz stermitz at tango.org
Fri Apr 22 10:33:34 EDT 2011

I have to disagree with you Ron. I use volcadas ALL the time.
Calecitas frequently; Colgadas sometimes; even sandwiches.

Volcada simply means tilt. It does not mean "lean at a 60 degree angle
and swing the legs into a wrap", a sequence which seemed to be the
rage in the late 2000s. By the more literal definition of volcar, I
have the lady tilt to a small or miniscule degree into me all the
time. This increases the energy and connection and expression of the
tango.

Same with calecita. I do them very frequently. Calecita does not have
to mean "Mariela with abs of steel at a 45 degree plank". To me, a
calecita is a slight tilt of the lady while I toggle my feet around a
5-15 degree angle around her.

Yes Jack. A colgada is just a single axis turn. It doesn't have to
mean "lean away from each other and use centrifugal energy like a whip
in swing". I occasionally plant my foot next to my partner in order to
pivot a larger angle or to hover in one place for a moment.

Don't get me started on the ocho-sandwich-back-trap-step-shoeshine-
gancho sequence! (I call the shoeshine the "warm puppy", because it is
like one of those little over-sexed dogs that won't get off your leg.)
But, I do mini milonguero sandwiches all the time: traps, touches,
tiny front ochos.

Some people dance like top-40 DJs, orating in a deep loud voice with
extra reverb to call attention to the advertisements. LOOK AT ME! I AM
DOING TAHNGO.

As you get older and more experienced you learn to appreciate the
subtle things in life.

On Apr 22, 2011, at 3:27 AM, RonTango wrote:

> .... Milongueros don't use colgadas and volcadas. Of course, someone
> will protest that they once heard
>
> Ron

Tom Stermitz
c: 303-725-5963