[Tango-L] Colgadas milongueras & other non-entities

RonTango rontango at rocketmail.com
Fri Apr 22 05:27:32 EDT 2011

It is possible to learn 'colgadas milongueras' and 'volcadas milongueras' in
tango workshops. This would appear to be the kiss of legitimacy - after all, if
it is taught at a tango festival, it must be real. The problem is this. The term
'milonguera' implies that it is used by milongueros. Milongueros don't use
colgadas and volcadas. Of course, someone will protest that they once heard
someone say that some milonguero from the 1940s reportedly used volcadas and
colgadas (sorry, no film available) when the reality is that he either had a
bout of vertigo or had imbibed too much wine one evening. Or someone else will
report that these movements are occurring all of the time at milongas in Buenos
Aires but they are just so small they cannot be seen by the naked eye (in which
case their existence, of course, cannot be disproven). Tango instructors will
sell whatever tango students will buy. Next we will have (if we haven't already
had) ganchos milongueros, soltadas milongueras, saltas milongueras ....
whatever.

Buyer beware.

Ron