[Tango-L] Better? Worse? Just different.

Brick Robbins brick at brickrobbins.com
Mon Apr 18 22:01:13 EDT 2011

Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2011 22:13:37 -0700 (PDT)
From: Jack Dylan <jackdylan007 at yahoo.com>

>>I think I'll stick with 'traditional'. What is Tango without tradition??Probably
something that's no longer Tango.?<<

What exactly does "traditional tango" mean to you? Here where I live,
there are people who dance in a flat Susana Miller style embrace who
consider their dance the "one true" traditional tango. There are
others who dance in a "V" embrace who also  consider their dance the
"one true" traditional tango. Both groups tend to do wrapping
movements.

In the couple of months I spent in Baires, I was told by some older
dancers, that there were no wraps in "traditional" tango, and that
such movements were vulgar because of the proximity of the two dancers
naughty bits (entrepiernas in castellano) required by wrapping
movement. So by these Portenos rules, neither of the embrace based
"traditional" camps would be dancing "traditional"

FWIW, worrying about tango ending is not new. In 1930 in the song
"Adios Arrabol" Lienzi wrote "The milonga of the portenos that will
never again return" (De la milonga porteña, Que nunca más volverá )