[Tango-L] tango movement

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) patangos at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 18 08:43:00 EDT 2011

Let's look at tango movement for a moment.  There are some things I've noticed about tango that I've not seen in other dances, such as:

- walking in crossed feet
- the cross
- ganchos, leg wraps, sacadas
- a seeming immobility of the upper body

I've seen ocho movements being done in other Latin dances, but they are not performed in the same way as in tango.  Other Latin dances are stationary, whereas Tango travels.

Tango also does not have side by side dancing.  Although there's been experimentation with alternative embraces, that has really just been a fad.  This tells me that for all of the fanciness and creativity, there's an overriding desire for people to want to hold and be held.

Other observations of tango movement compared to other dances?

Trini de Pittsburgh